Thursday, June 10, 2010

That was unexpected...

The rain stopped this afternoon which made me dash outside with my camera to take some pictures. I have a love/hate relationship with dandelions. I think they are beautiful as long as they stay out of my garden. They don't, of course, therefore I rip them out by the roots but I allow them to stay in the yard.
My peas
Beets
Carrots
I took this picture of the dandelions and then all of the sudden, something occurred to me...
the cows were not where they should have been. I looked in their field and sure enough, one of the rails had been knocked down. The swearing started at this point while I looked around wildly for my beef. I found them, having a lazy nap in the lower field. So I got myself a bucket of oats and headed that way. I'm a little leery of these two lately as the bigger one, Chocolate, has been rather aggressive. She has charged me a couple times in the last week and so I didn't particularly want to get too close to them. I managed to get them moving in the right direction with the bucket of oats after plenty of coaxing and yelling at the dogs who thought they were 'helping.' Finally they were back in their original enclosure and I made the mistake of not locking them in while I went back to close the gate. Like a pair of mind reading vampires ;) the two of them anticipated my mistake before I even realized it and they took off like shots passed me and out the gate. (More swearing)Yet another case of the grass is greener syndrome.I left them alone at this point and closed off the bottom field to hopefully deter them from escape. My egg customer came by to buy eggs and offered to help round them up. Of course they cooperated making me look like an idiot after my complaining to her about not being able to get them back to where they were supposed to be.
So instead of Spring Stew for dinner like I had planned, we ate pancakes because it was already 7:30 and no time to make a stew. I have decided that the cows don't deserve nice names like Chocolate and Vanilla. That would suggest that they are sweet and lovable. No, I think T-Bone and Prime Rib are much more fitting. Anyone care to come for roast beef dinner? *smile*

1 comment: