Saturday, June 19, 2010

The case of the missing eggs

Last Monday I went and bought 15 White Leghorn hens because I needed more eggs not only for us but also for my egg customers. I was very impressed on Tuesday when I collected 19 eggs from my hens. I figured that was a great start and it would only get better from there. Well the next day I collected 14 eggs. Hmmm, maybe they are having an off day. The next day; 11...

Yesterday:


And today:

Four eggs? From 26 hens? That's a little ridiculous! I expect my animals to earn their keep whether its eggs, beef, or guard duty. Four eggs from 26 hens is not earning their keep!

So I have a few thoughts as to what has happened to the eggs:
1. The lady who sold me the white leghorns lied as to how well they were actually laying.
2. Someone or something is stealing the eggs.
3. The chickens are holding those eggs in until I open the gate before they head for the bushes to lay them(my husband thinks perhaps the hens and dogs are in cahoots somehow)

Whatever the reason for the missing eggs, the chickens should know that it is in their best interest to "show me the money" or it's off with their heads!

Good day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, 4 eggs??? That's crazy!!!! Espeically since you were getting more than that BEFORE you brought home the new hens...maybe you need to go on a June-egg hunt?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or could one of your "mother" hens have taken them to sit on??? I guess that would be a lot of eggs. Are your dogs eating them??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was totally thinking it was the "Mother" hens too!

    Sounds like you need a Nanny Cam in your hen house...

    I love mysteries.

    ReplyDelete