Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A summer storm and peach cobbler

We had our second storm of the summer today. Alberta is famous for them. This one was even more severe than the one that blew through yesterday. I managed to get the front lawn cut before it rolled in at least! It started with lightning and thunder, then the torrential down pour. I am always worried about water around our house when it rains as we have a below ground basement and water has a tendency to pool in the window wells.
Then the hail started...
Then the water started pouring into the window wells and I had to gear up and go outside to bale them out. Realizing that the problem was also with the eaves troughs I got my 6 foot ladder and had to climb up to unclog the downspouts which shot water 4 feet out once the clog was removed. (And at this point in my story my parents are gasping, "you climbed a ladder in a lightning storm? Have we taught you nothing you lunatic?" I was wearing a hard hat, okay?)

Instead of taking my daughter to the last soccer game of the season(I don't think it was raining in town) I was cleaning gutters and bailing out window wells. We did try to head to town but the rain was coming down so hard that even with my windshield wipers doing double time I still couldn't see anything. So we came home and I had to bail everything out again then we went to hide in the basement while the lightning cracked right over our heads.

The rain finally subsided leaving everything under water. *sigh* no run for me tonight unless I want to be up to my knees in mud... which I don't.
My poor Delphiniums

We usually go to DQ after soccer but since we didn't go to soccer tonight I made Peach Cobbler instead. The picture isn't terrific but the dessert was!
Here's the recipe which I got from a website called joyofbaking.com. Lots of great recipes!
Peach Cobbler
Filling:
4-5 lbs ripe peaches
juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Biscuit Dough:
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk or cream
Peel and cut peaches into thick wedges(I left skin on) Place peaches in large bowl and toss with the lemon juice.
In small bowl stir together sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit and toss gently to coat. Transfer to a 9 inch deep dish pie plate or a 8x8 baking dish. Place on a cookie sheet to catch drips while baking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To make biscuit dough mix together flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two forks. Add the milk and stir until combined before turning onto floured surface and kneading a couple times. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut out biscuits with a
round cookie cutter or glass. Gently place biscuits on top of fruit. Brush tops with a bit of cream. Bake for 30-40 minutes until fruit is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. If biscuits brown too quickly cover loosely with foil. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!! You are SO cute!!!! I love the hard hat!!! ;) But you're so silly for being on that ladder in a lightening storm, you crazy woman!!! Want me to give you the name of a good landscaper who can come help you with some drainage??? ;)

    And the cobbler sure looks yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah when can this landscaper that you speak of be here? Maybe after he's done digging a ditch under his house? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were these fresh peaches? Already? If so, I may have to reconsider moving to Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh from California peaches! I wish they were some super yummy Penticton peaches but they are yet to come! So you'd better not move to Alberta for the peaches because you wouldn't find any! ;)

    ReplyDelete