Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A little surprise

Remember way back in May I told you about the hens that were competing to incubate eggs? Well the young hen gave up the race a long time ago and this old bird kept on going. Sitting on them day and night, only leaving to eat some breakfast in the morning. About a week ago I went to gather eggs and discovered one of the incubated eggs crushed with a fully formed chick inside. It was probably a day or two from hatching. That was pretty disappointing to see. I figured she was sitting on the rest of the eggs for naught and nothing would come of it. Yesterday while I was collecting eggs I had to move the broody hen because she is in the habit of stealing eggs to add to her clutch. She of course had an extra egg in her nest which I took and then happened to hear a little peeping noise. All the eggs were still there and there wasn't a chick to be seen. I realized that the peeping was coming from inside one of the eggs. Now that is pretty neat if you ask me.
This morning I picked the broody hen up to check for stolen eggs and what did I find? Two little yellow chicks! She actually hatched two eggs! I was so excited! I couldn't wait to tell the Toothless Wonder(my daughter) when she got home from school.
Unfortunately for whatever reason, one of the chicks was dead when I took my girl to see. So that leaves one chick and four unhatched eggs. I wonder if she'll hatch the rest?
Cute little guy huh?

2 comments:

  1. Awww, that little chick is so cute!!!!
    Does this mean that she lost the other tooth?? Sure looks like she needs two front teeth for Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete