Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wanted: Dead or Alive

This is our dog Zama. She is still a puppy and therefore can't be held entirely responsible for her actions, right? Well yesterday she attacked this chicken.
In the country dogs have been shot for these sorts of offenses and therefore one must train their animals to behave themselves and stay on their own property(which clearly my dogs don't because we all know about the grass being greener...) But what do you do when one of your dogs starts attacking your own animals? I realize it was just a chicken but 'just a chicken' turns into 'just a duck' which turns into a neighbors sheep or calf and she has already given the rabbit a lovely tear in her ear that you can see daylight through. So what do you do? Tie the dog and listen to her whine and bark all day? Build a run for her? Obviously I'm not going to shoot her, she's a pet but what would you do if your dog tried to kill your cat or your chicken?

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you what I'd do if my dog tried to kill my cat - that dog wouldn't be around much longer that's for sure!!!
    Wishful thinking, that Zama will grow out of this. However, chances are it will just get worse. Maybe a run is a good idea. Give her some free range where she can't sink her teeth into anything that has a pulse!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a run might be the best idea too. I may have kittens in my house soon and the last thing I need is her eating them! How do you think the kids would like that?

    ReplyDelete