Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Right vs. Wrong

I was watching my chickens free ranging this morning and it got me to thinking about Right vs. Wrong.

This is the way chickens should be raised:


But unfortunately this is how most of them are raised:
(google images)

This is where the majority of our eggs come from. From chickens just like this that are in cages for their entire lives and their sole purpose is to lay eggs. Our meat birds live similar lives. Did you know that meat birds grow so fast and get so heavy with meat that they have heart attacks and can hardly stand on their own two feet? All in the name of KFC and supermarket chains.

I know free range eggs are a bit more expensive and organic meat is too but isn't it worth it? Not every one is as lucky as me to be able to raise my own and teach my children good animal husbandry so that they can grow up respecting the animals that we eat and living healthier for it. But next time you buy eggs at the grocery store for $1.97 remember that the chicken that laid those eggs lives in a cage just like the one above. Just something to think about.

3 comments:

  1. squish squish!!!! those poor birds :( do you think my landlord would let us have some chickens so that I too can have my own fresh eggs and meat???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think perhaps you should just move to Alberta and buy a farm like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you're funny!!! ;) Nice idea though!!!

    ReplyDelete