Saturday, May 1, 2010

Turning 29

Panic set in last night. It was the eve of my last birthday in my 20's and it hit me kind of hard. I've found that as I get older, birthdays are less important. One just blends into the next and you get to be a certain age and presents become unnecessary- you find that you just enjoy the company of family and friends rather than the excitement of tearing open packages and hoarding new gadgets... at least that's how I feel anyway. I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical, I did get a KitchenAid mixer for my birthday but I bought it for myself; does that count? :)

Anyway I woke up this morning determined to be in a great mood. We had big plans for the day. My daughter presented me with a card that she had written in herself.(with her dad's help over the phone) I had put together a batch of cinnamon buns last night(I'll post the recipe at another time) and tossed them in the oven at 7:30 this morning so we could have fresh hot out of the oven cinnamon buns with yogurt and homemade granola. It was delicious! As I mentioned in an earlier post, my husband was back at work so the kids and I packed up and headed down to Olds for a Unique Critter Auction. I'm new to the Auction circuit. I find it a bit nerve wracking especially since I'm not exactly a 'good under pressure' type person but if you can't move out of your comfort zone you aren't able to grow, so off to the auction we went. We were late but that was okay because we were looking for something specific- Indian Runner Ducks and there were still some that hadn't yet gone through. The kids loved walking through all the different breeds of birds from the very common Leghorn chickens to the bizarre Guinea Hens and everything in between. My kids were looking for the ideal 'pet' chicken but nothing tickled their fancies so we waited for the runner ducks. I bid on one lot but bailed out when the price got too high and then had to wait nearly two hours before the next lot went through. While we waited I saw a breed of duck sell for over $800 a pair. I saw Peacocks sell for $150 each(I know what business I'm going to get into!) and then watched pure bred Siamese cats go for $15(it almost made me want to get another cat... almost!) I conquered my fear and bid on the second lot of runner ducks and got them for $55 which was awesome! So who knows, maybe 29 will be all about conquering fears no matter how big or small!

Looking back on my day is making me smile. My kids were wonderful and we had lots of fun together at the auction and then in Red Deer where we played at Chapters, got a treat at Starbucks and then made the hour and a half long drive home in good spirits with little arguing. We got our little ducklings settled into their dog kennel in the bathroom for the night and the kids took turns feeding them grass and 'checking' on them before they went to bed. *sigh* A wonderful day on the whole. I guess I have an entire year before I have to start worrying about the big 3-0. Until then I hope we have more days like today because my day was about as fantastic a day as a person could ever ask for!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I'm so glad that you ended up having such a fabulous birthday!!
    I can't believe that the Siamese cats were only $15!!! Can you get me like 3 next time?? Lol, but you have to talk to your Mom first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you yesterday, having your bday sans tag team partner. I'm glad it was such a good day.

    With every post you impress me more. An auction all by yourself? Amazing.

    Also, sooooo jealous of your KitchenAid mixer. I've wanted one for soooo long, but I don't have the counter space. :(

    ReplyDelete