Monday, May 17, 2010

Risky business

I did a risky thing today... I planted out my veggie starts! I know what you're thinking, if this constitutes risky in her books then she must lead a pretty boring life! Well I guess that's all just in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, planting out my veggies this early is risky because there is still a chance of frost... heck there's still a chance of snow! But the thing is, I started the seeds too early and they were fading a little in their peat pellets on my sofa table so I thought what difference does it make if they die in my living room in a couple of days or get killed by frost? There's always the chance that we won't get frost and then I'll be that much further ahead, right?
The first row is all zucchinis. I know, I'm going to have zucchinis coming out the you-know-what if they all make it but last year I planted 12 plants and they all got zapped by frost the first night in the ground. Better to plant more than I need and send you all zucchini bread at the end of the season! The second row is cucumbers- pickles here we come! And the last row is pumpkins and spaghetti squash!
Down here is corn. Obviously I will plant more as soon as I am certain they won't croak!

And this is my farmer neighbor readying his field for Barley. I'm hoping he read the Farmer's Almanac because that might mean I'm on the right track!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE zucchini bread... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your veggies!!! So exciting!!! I hope that they don't croak and that the frost and snow stay away - I would love some yummy zucchini bread (can I have chocolate chips in mine??)

    ReplyDelete