Thursday, May 13, 2010

An impostor among us


I managed to get my three little ducklings out of the shed and into their permanent home yesterday. The push that I needed was when I went into the shed and discovered the thermometer was hovering around 30 degrees. A little warm even for babies! So I moved them to their own outdoor pen next to the chicken pen and made them a temporary swimming pool out of an old kitty litter tray until I get them a bigger pool hopefully tomorrow. I put some hay inside the chicken coop for them to sleep in at night and they seem happy, though very skittish. Anyway now that they are out in the open and wandering around I noticed that one of them doesn't look like the other two. Yes, the coloring difference is obvious but I'm talking about the stature. Runner ducks are very vertical. The tips of their heads are almost vertically in line with their legs unlike other ducks that have legs sitting under their boat-like bodies. The dark one looks more like a boat to me. So does that mean that I got ripped off? I paid $55 for three runner ducks and came home with two and a run-of-the-mill pond duck? It might be okay if the pond duck turned out to be some super duper excellent rare breed but I'm thinking not. *sigh* So I guess the only thing that could make this worse is if all three of them turned out to be drakes because as we all know, without girls around boys aren't much good for anything! *smile*

1 comment:

  1. Haha, too cute - I loved your closing line!!!! Maybe the dark one is like the ugly duckling (despite the fact that she's not really ugly), she's just not quite like the others when she's younger but then when she grows up, she'll be the most beautiful of them all!!! And maybe female runner ducks aren't as upright?? Could it be as simple as male birds are always the prettier ones?? Either way, they are all oh so cute and I hope that you get it sorted out ok ;)

    ReplyDelete