Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Simplicity doesn't necessarily mean simple


I decided to make my daughter a dress today. There are so many fellow bloggers that are ridiculously crafty(you know who you are) that I'm just trying to keep up with the Joneses! We bought the pattern a couple of weeks ago and its been sitting on my desk since then along with a pattern for aprons that I've been promising the kids I'll make one of these days. We finally hit the fabric department while in town yesterday and my daughter picked out fabric for two dresses. She had school today so it was just me and the boy at home and I thought it would be a perfect day to whip out a dress. Okay, so this is my first time making a dress. What in the world made me think that I could just whip one out? I got off to a good start. Cutting out the pattern, pinning it to the fabric and then cutting that out too. The bodice was easy. I was thinking at this point, "wow, this is great! This shouldn't take more than an hour!" Then my sewing machine decided to inhale all my thread and try to eat my fabric. How on earth does one thread turn into like a thousand threads? An hour later and lots of wasted thread on the floor, I changed to a different thread and things went smoothly... for a while. Then it was time to sew the bodice to the skirt. Okay so how did the skirt end up being so much bigger than it should be? A few adjustments here and there and I got it all sewed up. I even put a zipper in the back and to be truthful, its practically a work of art! :) And it only took me five hours! Needless to say, my son was about close to shoving a screw driver in his eye because he was so bored today but my daughter loved it and asked if she could wear it to school on Thursday. What a lovely complement! I just hope that nobody looks too closely at the seams! Perhaps next time I should buy a pattern in the 'sewing for dummies' section?

3 comments:

  1. OMG, SO CUTE!!! It looks adorable on her and you did a fabulous job!!! Can't wait to see more 'designs by Maya' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya!!! Are you tired of me being amazed by you yet? If you are, stop being so awesome. A zipper on your first time sewing a dress, really? Stop. And the dress fits perfectly.

    I'm a lil' jealous of your mad pattern using skills too. I couldn't use a pattern to save my life, unless I was using it as a weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lissy, I hope you realize that you are one of the 'ridiculously crafty people' I was referring to! And Kristi with your cute quilt making skills... I'm just trying to be cool like the rest of you awesome moms! :)

    ReplyDelete