Friday, July 2, 2010

Canada Day 2010

Oh Canada! I am such a proud Canadian! So proud that during the Olympics I ordered myself and the kids matching Roots Canada hoodies. They wore these yesterday to the Canada Day Celebrations in town. Mine was in the wash so I couldn't wear it but let me tell you, I felt a little out of place in a sea of red and white in my aqua hoody! We hit up Tim Horton's first thing(very Canadian) before heading to Rotary Park for the festivities.



We started out at the giant bounce-o-rama slide and the kids spent about half an hour running up and sliding down. Finally I could stand no more and made them move on to other things. There was face painting, live bands playing the entire day, booths selling their wares, food, balloon animals, henna tattoos etc.
A couple of feral Canadians

We all got Henna Tattoos which are supposed to stay for a couple of weeks but unfortunately didn't.


We ran into lots of familiar faces. Mostly kids my daughter met in Kindergarten. We met up with another family and spent a good part of the day wandering around together. Our daughter's were in the same class and her middle son played soccer with my daughter as well. We got in the line up for a wagon ride and got to talking about summer plans and the new Twilight movie 'Eclipse.' Turns out this mom is related to someone I know from my little old Quadra Island. What are the chances of that? So we had a good laugh about how small the world is. While we were chatting, I heard someone behind me chuckle and say, "must be a farm boy." I turn around and there is my son, pants down around his ankles and not just taking a pee but swinging it around like a fire hose. Oh yes, I was embarrassed. I told him, next time he needed to find a tree to pee on. That one was laughed about for the rest of the day.
After about four and a half hours of fun, I decided that slurpees were in order on the way home. The kids never say no to slurpees. A couple of hours spent at home and then we cleaned up, had a visit with some friends and headed back to town for the fireworks.
We got there around 10:00 and they finally started at around 11:15. It was a long wait but the fireworks were fantastic. My son hid in his hood the whole time saying he was scared but my daughter and I enjoyed them so it was worth it. And after staying up until Midnight, I was grateful to sleep in until 9:15 this morning. I haven't slept in that late in a long time! So all in all it was a great day. Happy Birthday Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment