Friday, July 16, 2010

The Mother of all summer storms

We were headed home last night from Edmonton and my husband happened to check the weather for home while I ran into the bank. He hands me his Blackberry and says 'do you know what that means?' There was a little swirling red thing indicating a 'Severe Thunderstorm Warning' for Drayton Valley. Crap!

We got home at 9:30 and the whole way home we could see a mass of black cloud moving in from the northwest. It finally hit around midnight. Zeus must have been pissed about something because I have never seen lightning like that before(I tried to get pictures but couldn't.) The lightning was flashing non stop and the thunder was a constant rumble as it covered the clear sky with massive clouds.

This looks like snow but its actually marble sized hail.
It shot from the sky destroying everything. Stripping leaves from trees, flowers from plants...



And my chicken tractor that I worked so hard on, collapsed under the weight of the hail(no casualties though *phew*)
My gardens reduced to leafless stocks of death
My beautiful Delphs shredded
My veggie garden demolished

My potatoes

The roof of our house this morning littered with leaves and hail.

My husband and I were outside until 3 am trying to get our gutters clear of leaves and hail. Our window wells flooded, there is water in my daughter's bedroom and in the play room. The air is thick with the smell of green and not in a good way. The storm continued on to town but again at 5 am this morning, I was woken up to the blinding flash of lightning and absolute deafening boom of thunder. I have never heard or felt thunder so loud before. It was rather scary. And if you can believe it, my kids slept through it all. I'm going to have a little cry now. :(

2 comments:

  1. oh no!
    Maya!
    oh no!
    !!!!!!

    I'm so sorry. So so sorry.

    xoxo
    and extra hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awful!!! To hear about the destruction is one thing, but to actually see it is completely different - your poor garden!!!! I probably would have had a few good cries by this point!!! Maybe you'll get a few beautiful sunny days and some things will come back from the devastation unscathed?? Maybe??? I sure hope so!!!
    Sending lots of love your way *big hug*
    xo

    ReplyDelete