Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blue Rapids Provincial 'Park'

I was talking to my friend this morning about projects and whatnot and how I don't have a particular thing on the go right now and how my kids are constantly asking to do something fun. Her suggestion, "pack up and go have a picnic at the park." I thought that was a great idea but decided to have lunch at home first before setting out to a park we had never been to before- Eagle Point Provincial Park. I looked it up on the Internet to see if dogs were allowed and found nothing to say yea or nay so I loaded the kids in their seats and Indi in the crate in the back of the truck and off we went.

We turned off at the sign for the park and drove down a gravel road for a few kilometers waiting to see a sign telling us where to turn off. No sign anywhere just an aggregate business and a road that travelled around a pump jack and back out. Some trip to the park. Hmmm. So we headed back to the highway and towards Blue Rapids Provincial Park that conveniently enough was directly across the highway. We found the sign and turned off and proceeded to see the exact same thing- gravel road, quad trails and a road that went around an oilfield shack and back out. What the hell? So I pulled over next to a quad trail and took a look. The kids insisted that it was as good as any place for a hike so we set out down the trail.


Unfortunately the picture does not really do the hill any justice. The hill we slipped and slid down was almost vertical. I have no idea who would want to attempt driving down it on a quad but it was pretty clear that many a person has. At the bottom of the hill was this little creek...
so we stopped and let the dog have a drink...before continuing up the other side. Believe me, going up was not nearly as scary as going down!

These lilies grow wild everywhere and they are beautiful.
Sorry the picture is sideways but I am much too hot and sweaty to care right now! I don't know what these are but they remind me of a plant called 'blue eyed grass' that I grew in my garden on Quadra. They grow wild every where including the fields at our house.
We saw a couple of toads and a moose on our hike and realizing that there were probably bears lurking in the woods I decided it was time to head back. Back, of course, meant sliding back down that hill and crawling up the other side. The kids were so tired by that point that I was pretty much dragging my son up the hill. I heard several times on the way back, "let's not do this walk again, Mom." Yeah, lets not!

2 comments:

  1. Haha!!!! Sounds like quite the adventure!!! Not quite what I had in mind when I made the suggestion, but hey, at least you got out and did something totally different :) But ya, I don't think I would do it again either ;) LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I can't believe you went up that hill!!! I totally would've turned back as soon as I saw. No F-cking way I'd go up it. Nope. Unless you carried me...

    ReplyDelete