Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Birthday Adventure

'Fun' these days always seems to cost big bucks so when I suggested for my daughter's birthday yesterday that we finally go check out the Brazeau Dam, the kids were thrilled and so was I because its FREE!!

I was a little reluctant to go on another adventure after that crazy hill we did a couple weeks ago but the Brazeau Dam is only about 30 km from our house and I figured it wouldn't be that big of a waste if it sucked.

We were pleasantly surprised! It was beautiful! The kids were awestruck driving over the Dam itself seeing the Reservoir on the right and the spillway waaaaaaaay down the hill on the left.

The Brazeau Reservoir
The Spillway

These butterflies were every where and my daughter insisted on rescuing every single one she found in the water!



The waves created from a boat wake had them screaming in delight!

Climbing on the Dam... that lasted about five seconds before I yelled at them to get off! They were freaking me out!
After a refreshing swim, we went on a little hike and saw the spillway from a different view.

We feasted on wild raspberries and strawberries that were growing every where!

A few hours of fun in the sun and we were all tuckered out so we headed home where I put the finishing touches on the vanilla raspberry cake with chocolate icing that my daughter requested.

Had a couple friends over to eat cake and then called it a night!

It was a wonderful day so who says you have to spend lots of money to have fun? My daughter told me several times yesterday that it was the best birthday ever! So that's good enough for me!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a fabulous day and what a beautiful spot!!! And my what a yummy cake!!! But then again, all of the cakes you make look delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete