Friday, July 9, 2010

My garden

I love gardening. I really truly do. Although I don't like the upkeep of it, you know? Like the weeding and the watering part. I mean, I do those things because its part of it but my real enjoyment comes from planting things and seeing them grow.

This is what my front garden looked like last year. It was our first spring on the acreage and there was nothing in this garden except kitty litter, cat sh*t and driftwood that the previous owner apparently thought was a great first impression of her home. My veggie garden. This picture was taken on July 16th 2009
This is what it looks like this year!
One of my 'Morden' roses. They are the hardy prairie roses.
Morden Sunrise

Firewitch Pinks Sarah Bernhardt Peony

I love my Delphiniums! These are 6 and a half feet tall! I was thrilled to discover while weeding yesterday that these are self seeding themselves and I have baby Delphs popping up everywhere!

The front garden this year. I think it provides a much nicer welcome than kitty litter and driftwood, don't you? These are volunteer poppies. They have been with me a long time and have gone through many mutations over the years. I got the seeds from a 'Seedy Saturday' in Courtenay, B.C. about five years ago and planted them in my garden on Quadra. I collected seed and took them with me when we moved to Sylvan Lake, AB. The ones that came up there were drastically different from the original plants. These ones were hitchhikers that came with plants I dug up from my Sylvan Lake garden and they are different still.
More Delphiniums because I love them!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should come and garden at my house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking awesome!!! And I can't believe how tall your delphs are - amazing!!!! and I LOVE your poppies too!!!

    ReplyDelete