Monday, September 20, 2010

Pasta with Mixed-Vegetable Ragu

I try to make at least one vegetarian meal a week to give us a break from meat and this is one of my go-to meals. Its from the Weight Watchers All Time Favorites Cookbook.

When I put this on the table the kids of course look at me like I just dumped a steaming cow patty on their plates but I like it and I'm the cook and the mom and I say eat it!

The recipe:

2 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 zucchini, finely chopped
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
6 fresh white cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 16 oz box whole wheat spaghetti

Now, I stray from the instructions in the book so I will tell you how I do it as my way is faster than the book's way and turns out the same.

Heat oil in a large non stick pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook stirring for a minute or two. Add remaining vegetables and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and herbs then simmer stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes(enough time to go check your email.)

Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Top the spaghetti with the sauce and serve with a bit of Parmesan if you like.

Delicious! Perfect for one of those wet days like we had today and doesn't taste at all like cow patties despite what my kids may say!

No comments:

Post a Comment