Friday, September 17, 2010

Harvest Time!

We had a hard killing frost last night which pretty much levelled anything still standing in my garden. I decided that today would be a good day to get my root crops out of the ground. The sun was shining and it was one of those Fall days that is warm yet crisp and after digging in the dirt for a few minutes you have to take your sweater off.

The boy and I spent the afternoon digging potatoes and carrots. I dug while he put them in the bucket and when he needed a rest from all the hard work he kicked off his boots and socks and ran around the garden.


Red Potatoes

Yukon Gold curing in the sun
And what better way to relax after an afternoon of digging in the garden than to have a nice soak in the tub... er... sink (and no that is not my handiwork on the sink!)


After meeting my daughter at the bus the kids went inside to watch a movie and I pulled the beets. Not a plentiful harvest by any means but for a first year of growing carrots, beets and potatoes I think we did pretty well!
Now I just need to get some pickling spice to pickle beets! I'm the only one who likes pickled beets(or beets in general for that matter) so these are all for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment