Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A word or two about calves

What sorts of images does your mind conjure when you hear the word calf? Cute? Sweet? Cuddly? How about demonic? Evasive? Pain in the ass? Yeah, they look adorable with their big eyes looking at you through a fringe of thick black eyelashes, practically batting them at you as they run passed you mooing, "see you later, sucker!"

I spent my Monday afternoon with four experienced cattle people running around a field trying to catch two very slippery calves. After an hour and a half we finally managed to get them locked up only to have them both escape again through the cattle chute. After they were contained again, they were so stressed out that they were left for the night to settle down. But not before making one last ditch attempt at escape. Thank goodness their hips are wider than their shoulders otherwise they would have been gone again.

Yesterday, my neighbor from down the road hitched up his horse trailer and we got them loaded up no problem(why we didn't think of that on Monday, I don't know.) They were quickly unloaded into the enclosure I had set up for them. 20 minutes later, they were squeezing through the barbed wire to freedom. The two of us managed to get them back inside the fence but there was no getting them after that. They were gone. So last night I was outside until 9:30 cutting down every tree in sight to make fence rails. Then up and out the door this morning at 7:00 to hang some more strands of barbed wire. Needless to say, the little buggers are still running around mooing "catch me if you can!" Well I can't! I'm tired now!

No comments:

Post a Comment