Friday, April 2, 2010

The best granola bars in the world(according to my daughter)

I am always searching for new, exciting and HEALTHY snacks for the kids. At this point in my life, I would rather make things for them to snack on then buy another box of sugar laden junk even if it does have a health check symbol on it. I made these granola bars today and the kids loved them. I changed the original recipe I found because of what I had on hand and they turned out great.

2 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oat bran
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Mix together oats, sugar, oat bran, cinnamon, flour, raisins and cranberries in bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the applesauce, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix together well and press into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares or bars.

Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to make granola bars. I will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete