Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I don't like...(insert anything)"

I hear this sentence everyday sometimes even more than once and for the most part it is in regards to a meal that I've just set on the table. I pride myself on making new and exciting meals so that we are never bored with what we're eating. For example, tonight I made a very simple pasta dish- fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, spaghetti and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. "I don't like tomatoes"

"I don't like spinach" "It isn't spinach, its basil" "I don't like spinach" "It isn't spinach its basil!"

Last night I made a savory sausage stew. A fitting meal for the blustery day we were having. I thought it was delicious but apparently my kids, who would very nearly give up their left arms to have sausages for dinner, didn't.

A friend of mine suggested a while back that maybe I just needed to go back to the basic comfort foods, you know like chili and spaghetti, lasagna, those kinds of things. I tried it. My daughter decided she didn't like lasagna anymore. If my kids could live on broccoli they would. That's the funny thing, they love their vegetables, particularly the green ones; broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts of all things! But chili- no way! Potatoes- I don't like it! Rice- I don't like that either!

So what the heck is a mom to do? Keep making meals that I like in hopes that they will too or serve Alpha-getti for dinner... oh wait he doesn't like Alpha-getti either!

1 comment:

  1. Well if they like veggies, make them veggies!!!! Eventually they'll want something else to go with it...maybe :S

    ReplyDelete