Friday, April 2, 2010

Easier said than done

Well, we're almost two weeks into spring and I figured that with the weather as beautiful as it is that it would be the perfect time to get into the garden and do a first rototill. The snow is gone(for now), the ground seems to have thawed and I'm getting anxious to get on with things! I didn't anticipate it taking so long to get the rototiller hooked onto the lawn tractor ofcourse. The rototiller weights between 250 and 300 pounds so not really an easy task when one is working by ones self. But with perseverance and much swearing; I swear when I work(an attribute I will give credit to my mother for) and plenty of talking to myself (to which my son who was nearby kept saying, "what?") I got it done! And it only took an hour and half! And it was worth it when I saw the blades churning up that moist black soil. My veggies are going to be happy this year!

The rototilling was mostly a success. I did do a fair amount of damage to the lawn (oops!) and I caught the tiller on the fence and stretched it a bit but these things can all be fixed. Its a learning process right? Now the only thing I have left to do is wait. I can't plant anything out until the first week in june because this is Alberta and as most people know, it can snow in any month of the year here! For now, I can focus on my other projects- a compost bin, the barbed wire fence needs a little bit of TLC oh and the kids need to be fed! That is a project in itself.

A wise friend told me on the phone this morning not to hurt myself while attaching the rototiller. Well I didn't hurt myself! But I may be too sore to walk tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you ran the rototiller all by yourself! You are seriously my hero. Actually, I'm pretty impressed that you garden all, I always am with anyone that can grow things. I kill plants. I have a moldy thumb. That is why I leave all the gardening to my neighbor (that would be my 75 year old grandma *cough*) and reap the rewards with out the sweat and hard labor.

    You're awesome.

    PS. love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, good job!!! I am so proud of you that you managed to not only get the rototiller on by yourself but that you got it done in record time too, ALL while NOT hurting yourself!!!
    You are amazing, my very awesome, amazing friend!!!
    And I too love your blog!!!
    Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete