Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day


Happy Earth Day!

The first Earth Day was April 22 1970 and an estimated 20 million Americans took part. Air and water pollution, nuclear testing and loss of wilderness were major concerns. So why, 40 years later are these problems even greater? I can't even express how disgusted I am by the amount of garbage that surfaces after the snow melts in Alberta. We were in Edmonton yesterday and had to stop at the Walmart Supercentre before heading home. Garbage bags, candy wrappers, miscellaneous rubbish littered the tree line, hanging in the branches and plastered to the base of trees. Remember that movie American Beauty where the kid video taped the plastic bag floating around in the air claiming it was 'the most beautiful thing in the world'? I see that every day and I think its the opposite of beautiful. I live in the country, 15 minutes from town and yet, I find garbage in my fields- chip bags, McDonalds cups and believe me, my kids piggy banks are richer for the beer cans we pick up on the side of the road when out for a walk.

Is it laziness? Do people just not care? Or do people just assume that someone else will pick it up? I have taught my kids from the very beginning that we don't litter. I have no doubt in my mind that the Earth will outlast the human race but we are just killing ourselves slowly while we enjoy our time here. Shouldn't we make an effort to keep it clean for our children, grandchildren and the generations to come?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is laziness for sure and it is disgusting. It's kinda like those people who try to cross the road on a busy street and the sidewalk is like 10 feet away, they're just too lazy to walk the short distance to cross the road faster because they're too lazy. The same goes for garbage.
    But keep in mind, you also live in Alberta and have the goodness of BC in you - they're of a different mindset out there ;)

    ReplyDelete