Thursday, November 18, 2010

Millet Flat Bread

I bought Millet flour for this recipe months ago in anticipation of trying these but never got around to it. Today I made them and was happy I did because they were so good!

The recipe comes from a little booklet called Whole Grains in Motion that my mom picked up for me at her local health food store. It has lots of great recipes in it including a granola recipe that my kids love!

Millet Flat Bread

2 cups millet flour
1/2 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk or water(depending on desired consistency)
1/2 tsp cumin seed powder
1/4 tsp turmeric(optional)
2 TBSP sesame seeds
1/4 tsp red chili powder
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 TBSP Olive oil for frying

Mix together Millet flour, whole wheat flour and buttermilk or water. Let batter stand for 2 hours. Add spices and mix. Warm oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Cook batter in pancake sized pieces for about 3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. Let cool. Serve with yogurt or chutney.

I ate mine with a dollop of mango chutney! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment