Sunday, October 17, 2010

Recycled Pallet Cattle Feeder

I had this brilliant idea about a month ago for making a cattle feeder to solve the problem of our cows dragging their hay all over the place in the winter. Make it out of free wood pallets from the hardware store. Even if we have to build it 10 times over the course of our cows' lifetimes it is still cheaper than buying a steel one.

So we picked up six pallets from The Home Depot in Red Deer and today got down to the business of bringing my 'brilliant idea' to life!


Lay two pallets on the ground side by side

Nail a pallet on each end and then two pallets on the back. (Get your man servant to do this if you don't feel like swinging a hammer that day)
You will need something for the front so the hay doesn't get pulled out so I used a piece of plywood I found kicking around and nailed it to the front. Then I nailed an 8 foot 2x4 in front of that for extra strength when the cows lean on it. Yeah everything looks crooked but its really not. The ground is uneven, honest! And there you go, a free recycled pallet cattle feeder that took less than an hour to put together!
And while we are talking about free recycled pallet things, this is my three bin composter that my mom and I put together while she was here in early September. I got the idea from a fabulous book called "The Zero-Mile Diet: A year round guide to growing organic food." (By Carolyn Herriot) This book is absolutely chock full with every thing you could ever need to know about gardening. And the author lives in Victoria BC so she's Canadian as well as full of great ideas!

Hope you are enjoying a lovely sunny day like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment