Monday, October 4, 2010

A Final Chick Update

I thought I should do one last 'Chick Update' before we... you know... cut off their heads! I certainly had a lot of casualties in these four months of raising my own chickens. I thought I was doing pretty good until the dogs decided that they needed a cut of the goods. I would have preferred to just give them extra kibble but they decided that 14 of my birds was a better deal. Learning experience.

I have definitely learned a lot from this little adventure and hopefully I will remember this new found knowledge when I get my chicks next year!

Remember how cute and fuzzy they were?

Well they are less cute now but more tasty!

Look at all their pretty tail feathers!
In the end there will be about 25 roosters to butcher which we will do over the course of a few days. And there should be about 10 hens to add to my flock. Not quite the numbers I had hoped for but it will have to do for this year!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, is that a picture of you??? Can't be, you never put up pictures of yourself ;)
    Those chicks are very pretty and I wish that we could have chickens - I love chickens!!! I love petting chickens and eating chickens, mmmm!!!
    Have fun cutting off their heads ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya, you're so pretty holding that chicken.

    I wish Gimpy VonLeggster was in that bunch... bet he would've tasted almost like a real chicken.

    ReplyDelete