Friday, October 15, 2010

Butcher Time!

Its the post you have all been waiting for! I know you've been dying to see the blood and gore from our second time butchering chickens. So here it is in all its glory! *Be forewarned: there is blood and guts in the coming pictures (but at least you can't smell what I had to smell!)



Okay so this is just a posed shot. Its kind of hard to chop the head off a rooster with another rooster! ;)The deed was done and then they have to hang for a few minutes
The first stinky part is dipping them in hot water for ease of plucking. Do you like my coveralls?
Pluck pluck pluck! Get all those pin feathers out
Indi salivating. She liked to stand as close to the chopping block as possible so that she could get any blood spray directly on her face. I know, gross.

The spectator section
After they are dipped and plucked, I like to cut off the feet.
Then you make an incision just below the breast bone and reach in all the way to the neck and pull all the guts out

and that is the second stinky part of cleaning a chicken- the guts. Yup, they stink.
I like to cut all the way around the chicken's bum so that you don't accidentally perforate the bowels and get poop everywhere.
Give it a good rinse out and make sure there are no guts left inside and line them up for a photo!

Pretty simple really, when you get the hang of it. And there is nothing like the taste of home grown chicken! Just ask my kids!

2 comments:

  1. Love the spectators section photo - they look so excited and happy to be there!!! Too cute :)
    I loved this entry - thanks for all the guts and gore pictures!!! You are truly amazing my friend.
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you put your hand in that chicken.
    Nasty.
    I doubly can't believe you did it w/o glove.
    Bleck...

    ReplyDelete