Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Farmer's Market

Yesterday, while in Edmonton, the kids and I hit up the Old Strathcona Farmer's Market. We've gone to our own town Farmer's Market a few times but I wanted to try something with a little more variety. I was definitely pleased! We walked up and down the aisles several times taking it all in before stopping to buy a half pound of locally roasted organic coffee as our first purchase.

I bought beets from the man in the yellow apron. He was very nice to talk to.

The kids each asked for a lollipop from this vendor. F chose a lime turkey and S chose a lime/pineapple rooster.
I bought some locally made cheese on this aisle. Its made in Sylvan Lake which is convenient since I go there on a fairly regular basis. We tried a taste of four year old cheddar. It was amazing!

There were so many things to look at in this place! Seasonal vegetables and fruits of every variety, every meat you could possibly want- elk, bison, beef, chicken, duck, pork; all grown without the use of antibiotics or hormones and most certified organic! Sausage, breads, cakes and cookies, honey, jam and other preserves, coffee, artwork and there was even entertainment! It was wonderful and well worth the trip! I think that from now on my trips to the city will be made on Saturdays to allow for a trip to the market!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, when I first read the part about the lollipops, I thought the flavor F chose was lime AND turkey...I'm really hoping that I did infact read it wrong and that they really were shapes and not part of the taste ;)
    Looks like it was lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to live at the candy table.

    Have I ever mentioned... Me+Candy=BFFs?

    ReplyDelete