Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My 2011 Model Chicken Tractor!

As you may recall, I made an attempt at building a chicken tractor last year. It was a sad, monstrous thing that was near impossible to move and collapsed under the weight of a hail we got in mid July. Lesson learned.

This afternoon I started work on the 2011 Model. I only had intentions of building the frame but one thing led to another and four hours later a chicken tractor was born! Thank goodness my kids are old enough to entertain themselves because when I get on a roll with something I really do hate to stop(hence my kids eating mac and cheese for supper...at least it was the organic stuff!)

The base frame. This time I used 1x4x8's instead of 2x4's which is why it was so heavy last year.

The finished frame.
The little house half built. F is demonstrating the top hatch where food and water will be put through.
My little photographer wanted to make sure you knew I actually built the thing. I got over my fear of power tools and used the skilsaw!
Putting the front on the house.
The tractor is done, all it needs is the chicken wire.
Ta Da! Now all it needs is chickens! Tomorrow! I'm too tired to do anything else!
I may put wheels on it for ease of movement but I haven't gotten to that yet... oh and handles too. I'll do that part tomorrow!

So there you have it! What do you think? If you were a chicken would you like to live in there for the summer? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome!!! I bet those little chicks are Oh so very happy with their new home :)

    ReplyDelete