Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's green at least

The garden is growing like crazy(so are the weeds) with all this rain we have been having. All we need now is a bit of sun so the soil will warm up and my seeds will germinate!

I went gung ho weeding my front garden but as you can see the grass and dandelions are ever so sneakily moving back in! It's hard to motivate one's self to go out in the rain to weed!

This is my recently renovated herb bed. I dug my chives and thyme out(they are the only herbs that survive the harsh Alberta winters to come back in the spring) put a whole bunch of cow manure, topped with a layer of spoiled hay, then a layer of compost and raked the soil back over. In addition to the chives and thyme there is now lavender, rosemary, oregano, dill and fennel. And my lovely bleeding hearts in the foreground.
The vegetable garden. In May I dug out all my perennials, rototilled the garden into two strips and it is all dedicated to vegetables. My rhubarb is now in the bed at the front of the garden along with saskatoon berry bushes and day lilies.
This is where I moved my raspberries to at the far end of this row. This strip is all berries. Raspberries at the south end with strawberries on the east side, then two red currants, a patch of grass that wouldn't allow itself to be rototilled and four blueberry bushes snug amongst the chicken litter.
Garlic in the foreground that I planted in the fall. I was so pleased to see that 10 cloves sprouted even though I planted at least twice that. Next is three varieties of potato- red, white and purple. Then snap peas around the teepees, four rows of onions, more pea teepees and then five rows of carrots- purple haze, king midas and a mix variety of orange, yellow and purple. Lastly is four rows of beets- baby ball and golden.
The other row of the garden isn't much planted yet. There are broccoli seedlings, kohlrabi, and brussels sprouts and hopefully if the weather improves and the soil dries out a bit, I can get in my beans, cucumbers, zucchini and whatever else that's left to plant!

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment