Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bull on the Loose

Sir Loin found the weak spot in the fence this morning.  Typical.  My husband K is away right now and I'm not particularly fond of Sir Loin.  Which is probably why the bull gives me a hard time!  I was headed for my shower this morning when I looked out the window and saw this...


I grabbed the lead rope and my camera and ran outside.  He was not really all that interested in being caught but the way to a bull's heart is through his stomach or at least it is in Sir Loin's case so I managed to get the rope around him while offering him a handful of grass.



So I thought I had everything under control.  I led him back towards the open gate crossing my fingers that we would get there before he decided to pull anything.  How convenient that my other cows chose that precise moment to make their way up from the bottom field.  "Hellooooo Ladies!" he called ripping the rope from my hands as he went bucking and kicking across the lawn, through my raspberries and strawberries to greet his girls by the fence.  Then following them up and around the fence line put him right into my newly planted orchard.  Maybe you don't know this about me but things that I work hard on like gardens, trees etc are kind of like my babies.  I get a little emotional when someone or something messes around with them.  

I followed Sir Loin into the orchard hoping to get an opportunity to grab his rope but being that he is a bull and locked away from his girls I was a little reluctant and hung back a bit.  As he was trolling the fence he came upon an apple tree, and deciding that his head and horns were quite itchy and in need of a scratch he used it as a scratching post.  Oh look!  Another apple tree!  That one looks like it might work even better.  By this point I left to call my husband in China, where it was 12:30 in the morning, to cry that his stupid bull was busy trying to destroy my newly planted orchard! 

To make a long story short(er) I got on the other side of the fence, grabbed his rope and tied him to a fence post while I went to get the lawn tractor to tow him back to the gate...


After he was locked safely back in his field I realized that I had left the green man gate open!  Thankfully the brain of a bull is hanging between his legs rather than behind his eyeballs other wise he might have seen that open gate and made a run for it.  Luck was with me and I managed to get to said gate and close it before having to repeat the entire morning!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment