Sunday, May 29, 2011

Say hello to my stinky little friends

We went down to Red Deer yesterday for the Heritage Poultry Sale at the Westerner Agri Centre. Heritage birds are the old breeds of chickens, ducks, turkey etc that need preserving as newer hybrid birds that grown faster or produce more eggs come onto the market.

I went there with the hopes of finding Muscovy ducks and Silver Spangled Hamburg chickens. Well... I found neither. Or rather I found the ducks but they were all spoken for. Booo! But I did get the name and email of a woman in my area that raises Muscovy ducks so that was promising anyway.

We did come away with eight three week old chicks though who are now residing in the rabbit cage... in my bathroom. Didn't I swear somewhere along the line that I would never have chickens in my bathroom again?

This little brown ball of fluff is an unknown. The lady I was buying from asked if I wanted it for $3 because she didn't know what it was. I'm hoping that it's a Buff Orpington seeing as the other chicks I bought from her were Orpingtons.
This is a Blue Orpington(we got two)
A Cornish Giant(three of those) These are Hybrid meat birds. This would be what you would be getting from the grocery store. They grow extremely fast- you butcher them at eight weeks. They are not Heritage birds but I was curious as to the difference in a meat bird and a dual purpose bird like my Rhode Island Reds.
This is S's Lavender Ameraucana, Candy. F's is named Lightning.

And today I am going to look at some black Indian Runner Ducks as well as Silver Spangled Hamburgs that I found on line! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment