Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bacon and Potato Chowder


The kids and I went out to the garden the other day and gathered a bunch of potatoes, onions and beans for this recipe that my neighbor gave to me and I believe he originally got it from 'The Western Producer.'
It's so good and so easy to make! 

Fry six slices bacon.  Crumble and set aside.
Saute in two TBSP bacon fat(I said it was good, not healthy! Ha Ha!) 1 cup chopped onions

In a soup pot place:
3 cups diced potatoes
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillion (I substituted 3 cups organic chicken broth for the water and bouillion)
Cook until potatoes are tender.

In a small bowl stir
3 TBSP flour
1 can evaporated milk(or 1 1/2 cups 2%.  I used skim and it turned out great)
Add flour mixture to soup stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.  Reduce heat, stirring until thickened.  Add bacon and onion (and beans if you like) and heat through.  Serve with a piece of fresh bread and a sprinkle of cheese. YUM!!


1 comment: